Where can I tune my handpan?
Most people who buy a secondhand or used handpan off platforms such as Amazon, eBay or any medium that isn’t a direct purchase from a Handpan Maker, feel lost or confused when it comes to retune their instrument or fix any irregularities. In this entry I will try to solve any doubts regarding the matter.
My first piece of advice would be to purchase a handpan from a craftsman or a trustworthy handpan maker that has a reputation and professionality to his craft. Many people are dazzled by any sound due to lack of knowledge on this field, but nowadays there’s a very good sound quality and very good manufacturers, you just have to know how to find them.
As a famous book writer said. «... I've come to talk about my book ...» and since you are on my website, of course, I have to tell you about my instruments and not about other brands, although there are very good ones, even from very good friends and colleagues in this profession.
Without further ado, I am going to list some of my recommendations:
- Buy a handpan directly from the manufacturer. You will save money by not having intermediaries.
- Look for manufacturers that give you at least a 2-year guarantee on the stability of the tuning (always without accidents, blows or abuse on the instrument) and also on the material.
- Find demonstrable manufacturer's job history through videos.
- If you are new to the world of handpans, you can ask a friend or acquaintance who already has a handpan for advice.
- Once you buy it and whenever possible, the refinements should be done by the original craftsman of the brand. In the case that it is outside of Spain or you have it very far from your location, you can look for an experienced local builder.
- I recommend refining your handpan once a year so that the harmonics shine like they were from the first day.
Nowadays I’m able and ready to tune any handpan from any brand/manufacturer. In case you have any doubts or want to retune your instrument I can help with much pleasure. The link below is a video where you can see the process of tuning the handpan.